Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science - Magazine - The Atlantic

I read this article about a week ago. This helps to me to not feel like I am being unreasonably cynical and negative and validates some of my skepticism around doctors, drug companies, researchers, and medications.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science - Magazine - The Atlantic

I do not mean to fall victim to conformational bias here, but I have been very suspicious of the whole industry for some time now and this is confirmation that not only am I not alone in my suspicions, but that my suspicions are reasonable and not just "crazy talk".

This subject relates to my belief that you should always question authority. You should not blindly disrespect authority, because many times it is correct. You should not blindly follow authority either. Unquestioned compliance and closed-minded rebellion are both equally dangerous in this situation.

So, I say to you, "Never be afraid to ask 'Why?'." Just because someone cannot answer the question does not make them incorrect, but answering the question does not make them correct either. A person's answer does, however, shine light on the person's reasons for their opinion which can help you to determine the validity of their opinion without having to be technical enough to qualify the correctness of their answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment